The United Nations Human Rights Council was established in 2006 and is the core body focused on promoting and protecting human rights within the United Nation System. It is made up 47 member States (counties) and reports directly to the UN General Assembly. The 24th session of the UN Human Rights Council (HRC) will take place in Geneva from September 9th – 27th, 2013. The September session is where the reports of the UN Human Rights Mechanisms focusing on Indigenous Peoples (the UN Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and the UN Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples) are usually presented. This year, those reports and a half-day interactive dialogue on the rights of Indigenous Peoples will take place on September 17th and 18th. IITC will also co-sponsor a side event on September 17th with Incomindios on “Human Rights Defenders and Access to Justice for Indigenous Peoples”.
The Universal Periodic Review (UPR) Process is a peer review established within the work of Human Rights Council for UN member States to review each other’s compliance with their human rights obligations and make recommendations for improvements. All 193 UN member States are reviewed on a rotating basis approximately every 4 years. Reports and recommendations from other UN Human Rights processes addressing the country under review are compiled and submitted by the Office of the High Commissioner on Human Rights, and input from “civil society” and Indigenous Peoples are also considered in the review process.
- IITC submission for the Consultation with Indigenous Nations, Peoples and Tribes in preparation for United Nations Human Rights Council’s 2nd Universal Periodic Review of the United States, April 24th, 2014: “The United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, Treaties and the Right to Free, Prior and Informed Consent: A Framework for Restitution and Redress of Treaty Violations”
- Areas, IITC Press Release March 17th, 2014
- 24th Session of the Human Rights Council Item 6 – Consideration of UPR Report of Canada Presented by Ermineskin First Nation Counselor Brian Lee, International Indian Treaty Council, September 19, 2013
- United Nations Human Rights Council 24th Session, September 9 – 27, 2013 Half-day Discussion on Indigenous Peoples, IITC Intervention on the World Conference on Indigenous Peoples and Treaties presented by Ronald Lameman
- United Nations Human Rights Council 24th Session, September 9 – 27, 2013 Interactive Dialogue with the Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, IITC Intervention on Access to Justice for Indigenous Peoples presented by Leonard Foster
- Programme of work,24th session, UN Human Rights Council
- Please watch this space for more information on the 24th session of the HRC as well as upcoming UPR reviews and opportunities for input.