The need to establish this Independent Forum was agreed at the Indigenous Peoples’ Global Consultation for the UN Food Systems Summit (UNFSS) on May 29-30 , 2021. Its focus is information-sharing and discussion of strategies to strengthen the self-determined participation of Indigenous Peoples in UN bodies impacting Indigenous Peoples’ Food Systems and Right to Food. The 1st meeting of the Forum was held on July 7th and included views and preparations for the Food Systems Pre-Summit in Rome and a report-back from the Global Consultation. Proposed topics for the 2nd meeting include:
- Reports from the Pre-summit, outcomes for Indigenous Peoples and possible next steps;
- Impacts on Food Sovereignty of the 30X30 Plan and creation of “Protected Areas”
- Relevant UN Bodies and processes: overview of the United Nations Committee on Food Security and its Civil Society and Indigenous Peoples Mechanisms
- Structure of the Forum including selection of new co-chairs and Working Groups
- Other matters as proposed by the participants
This meeting is open to all Indigenous Peoples, with a special invitation to Indigenous food producers and knowledge holders, youth and elders.