Date: Saturday, February 19th, 2022 @ 8:00 PM – 9:30 AM Mountain Standard Time (Find Your Time Zone and Date)
The need to establish this Independent Forum was agreed at the Indigenous Peoples’ Global Consultation for the UN Food Systems Summit (UNFSS) on May 29-30, 2021. Its focus is information sharing and discussion of strategies to strengthen the self-determined participation of Indigenous Peoples in UN bodies impacting Indigenous Peoples’ Food Systems and Right to Food. The 4th meeting of the Forum was held on November 20th and included a report of outcomes of the UNFCCC COP 26, an update on the “30×30” policy for “protected areas”, FAO code of conduct on pesticides, and an update from Dr. Myrna Cunningham on the Indigenous Peoples food systems coalition from the UNFSS. Proposed topics for the 5th meeting include updates on:
- The Dushanbe Water Conference and the Indigenous Peoples Forum
- The UN Committee on Food Security (CFS) Civil Society and Indigenous Peoples Mechanism
- Update on the upcoming CBD meetings
- Call for Submissions on “Mercury, artisanal and small-scale gold mining and human rights”
- Protected Areas UNEA side event and UN submissions
- International and regional work on fisheries
- And other matters of concern
This meeting is open to all Indigenous Peoples, with a special invitation to Indigenous food producers and knowledge holders, youth, and elders.
Zoom registration link: https://link.iitc.org/FOOD5
Interpretation will be provided in English, Spanish, and Russian.